Opel Rokord P2 Coupe restoration from Canary Island Spain

Opel Rokord P2 Coupe restoration from Canary Island Spain

Hello to everybody, this post is my presentation to the Opel Rekord P2 comunity (sorry for write on English language)

Some time ago, a good friend mine (young man on the photo) tell me about this Opel Rekord P2 Coupe project.

His Owner, an old man that have brought this car new on 1962, was searching for a young people with the necessary hope and desire to return his car to his new condition of 1962 a preserve it for the next year to came, and on these moment is went I pick up the challenge of restoring this coupe to his former glory.

The car was not too bad, but need a full overhaul, at that time I did not know how hard it would be to get some parts, and the restoration start …

I found more rust than spected, but all was repaired with new metal, and after the body was painted I applied Mike Sander rust prevention wax to all closed sections..

Much time and money after that day, my car depends to get some parts to finish it. Here on Spain is very difficult to find part for my car. Despite this, I get some parts locally and also from Matz and Opel Classics Parts Obere dealers. Here on Tenerife Island I also have found other two Rekord P2 Coupe and one sedan.

All mechanical parts was dismantled, inspectioned and overhauled if necesary, engine, radiator, gearbox, suspension, fuel tank......

The language was an added difficult to the restoration of my car is that I don’t know-understand German language and all the information available (manuals diagrams, etc) for this car is on this language.

I joined this forum in hopes that someone can help me to find the spare parts I need, despite I only can write on English (that also is not my mother language)

I enclose photos of the actual state of the restoration of my car

I hope finish this car before 10 of December, because this date is the 50 th anniversary of the car traffic registration en Tenerife and I want to offers to previous owner a special gift. He has now 82 years old and have a lot of illusion to see the car on the road again.

Time go fast... so all help to find parts are welcome.

I have replaced the front and rear windshields of my Rekord Coupe and by a reproduction rubber from one Germany supplier, but they don’t fit well. Anybody knows if there are "new" original front and rear windshields available for Rekord P2 Coupe, or at least good quality reproductions?

Also I’m trying to find a pair of new rubbers for the quarter windows of the front door of a 1962 Rekord P2 Coupe. Anyone knows where I can find it? Also I need the rubbers for the rears windows of the Coupe.

Other spare parts I need are

Regards and many thanks for your help and patience,

Fredys
      ¡hola! ¡muchos gracias por la presentación!

but that's all og my spanish. :)

you're welcome to this board and we'd appreciate to help you, so far we can!
      gruß, Jerry.

remember the times when sex was safe and racing dangerous

OPEL 1200 Das wirtschaftliche Vollautomobil

31515 Wunstorf
      Opel 1200 (1,5l, 55PS, 4-Gang, AHK, EZ 3/60)
      Rekord P1 (1,5l, 45PS, 3-Gang, Faltdach, EZ 5/58)
      Hello Fredys,

First of all, welcome to this board. And what a nice job you've done on restoring your P2 Coupe. I restore cars every day and know how much effort you have to put in it, but what I see on the picture's is looking very good! Wel done!! Do you have any technical information about this P2? As you may be allready know, the P2 Coupe has the 1700 S engine with 60 HP. If you need a new ore used carburettor, beware that this carburettor is different from the standard 1500 and 1700 engine.

A few months ago I've visited Thilo Steinmann who ownes a P2 Coupe and has a lot of used spare parts for the Coupe. May be he can help you with some parts: thilo@steinmann-architekt.de

I can help you with technical data, but it's all in German. I could translate some parts if you need specifik information. For instance information about how to work on the engine.

Greetings from the Netherlands! Louis. :daumen1:
      Hola Fredys, :hi:

again welcome to the P2-Forum! Thank you for the pics and your interesting story - what a great car you own!
      Please please please don't give up your project, absolutely it's worth all the worries and frustration! I hope you
      will be able to finish the work (maybe with the help of this forum) :hammer2: and set the car back on the road (where
      it belongs!). And cruisin' the roads of Teneriffa in future you will find out that sweat and tears finally payed out!
      Good luck and all the best from Germany to Spain!
      Grüße aus dem Sauerland von Frankie, dem Lennecruiser!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Fahrzeug: Olympia Rekord P1, EZ 02/60, 1700 ccm
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      MOTTO: "LEBE SO, DASS SICH DEINE FREUNDE LANGWEILEN, WENN DU TOT BIST!"
      Many thanks to all for yours coments and support.

A lot of time ago other Opel Rekord P2 fan called Karsten send to me a cd with manuals and technical information about the Opel Rekord P2, and I’m sure that without these information, despite of all of this information was on German language and lot difficult for me, I was been unable to do the restoration of my car. But now I understand how to interpret the parts diagrams. Maybe you have more information than I have, and would be interesting to have it.

Thanks to this information I know that the carburetor of the Coupe is different, have different needle than sedan car.

It's a pity it's so hard to get some parts, but maybe this make this project more interesting.

I try to contact with Thilo. I cross my fingers and wait for these parts.

Many thanks,

Fredys
      Bienvenido Fredys,

me encanta tu coche y muchísimas gracias por la presentación de lo que ya has hecho.

I can only imagine what a hard job it is to work when all you got is even in a foreign language.
      So I even more admire how you keep on doing it.

I wish you success and good luck for the rest of the project.

Muchos saludos

Frank